The Landmark London Environmental Policy
At The Landmark London we embrace our responsibility for environmental stewardship and we are committed to integrating environmental practices and sustainability practices into our daily business operations.
This is our promise to you:
- Through our Landmark London Green team, we will actively identify and implement green policies throughout the hotel
- We aim to purchase all our products from ethically sourced produce.
- We regularly monitor our utilities consumption levels and we strive to reduce it at every opportunity without compromising on your comfort.
- We are building relationships with our suppliers to reduce their packaging and transport to our hotel.
- We actively implement recycling programmes throughout the hotel.
We are proud to say that we have achieved zero to landfill since 2011 and we are keeping our recycling levels at 84%.
We have placed motion detectors for lights and dimmers in most part of our public area. Additionally, we started implementing an initiative to replace all the lights in our bedrooms with energy saving lights instead. We are also ensuring our procurement process is environmentally friendly. We managed to convince our suppliers to reduce their packaging when they deliver their goods and also support local British producers.
More information about our environmental policy.
Over the last few years we have gained awards and eco-labels that highlight our commitment to environmental sustainability.
- The Landmark London has received the Luxury Eco Certification Standard (GOLD), a standard specifically tailored to the luxury market in recognition of the unique challenges faced by such business in their continuous efforts to offer high-quality products and services in line with a strong environmental policy. Six key operation areas are measured in order to receive this certification: Policy and documentation, Business Planning, workforce Practices and Guest Experience, Energy Conservation, Water Conservation, Waste and Recycling, Community and Ecosystem Impacts.
- Green Business Tourism (GOLD): this is awarded for the reduction of environmental impacts.It demonstrates that a company is fully committed to becoming and remaining a sustainable business.
- Considerate Housekeeping Team of the Year 2014: The Landmark London is delighted to have received this award, showing that our Housekeeping Team is continuously working towards a sustainable practice.
- Carbon trust Standard: this is awarded to recognise best-practice and real achievements in reduction, the Carbon Trust Standard helps organisations to measure, manage and reduce their environmental impact, whilst improving their resource management and operational sustainability.
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
We understand that whilst creating opportunities to generate greater value for our shareholders, it is vital to foster sustainable development and make a positive difference in the communities in which we live and work.The Landmark London Hotel embraces this policy through the creation of the ‘Green Team’ who is formed by a group of team members at all levels and departments and are in charge of keeping this policy alive through different initiatives and activities. Every team member who wishes to become part of the ‘green Team’ is welcome to do so.
The organisation is committed to acting responsibly, and to protect the environment. All employees are required to:
- Recycle materials wherever possible
- Not print off e-mails unnecessarily
- Consider the ethical stance of suppliers before placing orders
- Dispose of any chemicals responsibly and carefully
- Think about the impact of their actions on the local community
As part of our pledge to social responsibility, we have chosen to work with two charities through a £1.00 donation programme kindly donated by our guests during their stay. The £1.00 donation is split in half between two charities:
- Springboard Charity, which aims to raise awareness regarding hospitality industry among young adults. The aim is to raise vital funds to help young disadvantaged people develop the skills, confidence and motivation to secure sustainable employment in hospitality, leisure and tourism in the UK.
- Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity since July 2014.
THE LANDMARK LONDON GREEN TEAM
How is the team selected?
All members of the green team are involved on a voluntary basis. They got together to create this team because they are passionate about the environment. They share a common goal in wanting to make The Landmark London a greener work place and to promote this awareness to their colleagues. They strongly believe through their actions as a team they are able to influence their other colleagues to participate and convince them to also be a member of the green team. The team meet on a monthly basis.
What makes it successful?
The success is due to the breadth and depth of the team, who represent the whole of the hotel and the commitment of each of the team members. They are consistent in their communication and they are passionate about what they do. Each member also feels empowered and has the ability to make an impact. For instance, one of our team members, Margaret felt that it was vital that all employees were made aware of the consequences of the climate change we are facing and how as individuals we can play our part to reduce the impact of the climate change. Hence, she organised a week-long event at the hotel to educate staff through interactive activities and competitions. Her efforts were supported not only by the green team but by all members of staff from senior management right through to the front line staff.
With the advent of the “Staff Green Zone” at the Staff entrance, and clearly defined “General Trash”, “Recycled Waste” and “Food Waste” areas, the staff has a much greater insight into the Purpose, Direction, and Commitment of the Green Team.
- Spa and Health Club -
“Our Team view the Green Team as a very significant unit in our Hotel. Without their efforts, our commitment to the environment would not be successful…”
- Human Resources -
“The Green Team has made such a big impact since they have been together. All initiatives have been carried out in a very organised manner and what is more important is that they have made sure that the hotel’s green and social initiatives are communicated. They give a very high value to our company.”
CHARITIES THE LANDMARK LONDON SUPPORT
Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity
A well-known charity that raises money to support children who are in need of health care. With over 240,000 patient visits every year, the charity is working to pioneer new treatments and cures for childhood illnesses.
The Springboard Charity
This charity works with school, college and university leavers, training them in the area of hospitality and supplying programmes and work placements at some of the country's most high end locations. The charity works to help young people kickstart their careers.
WASTE, ENERGY AND WATER TARGETS
At The Landmark London, we have an aim each month to recycle 85% of our waste throughout the hotel.